A midweek fixture between Liverpool and Chelsea saw disruption in the Women’s Super League as the hosts put four past the current title holders in a 4-3 thriller at Prenton Park. 

Emma Hayes’ side had their eyes set on winning the quadruple at the beginning of the season however defeat in the Continental Cup final against Arsenal, FA Cup semi final against Manchester United and Champions League semi final against Barcelona means their hopes of winning a trophy now lies in their success in the WSL. 

Just nine minutes into the match Chelsea youngster, Aggie Beever-Jones, opened the scoreline in what was set to be one of the best games the WSL has seen this season.

Catarina Macario lifted the ball into the six-yard box from a corner and it eventually met the head of Beever-Jones who slotted it past Teagan Micah.

Embed from Getty Images

Second half

Liverpool’s Sophie Román Haug was the player to spark the action in the second half after a corner played in from 22 year old, Marie Höbinger. 

Höbinger skilfully played the ball into the six yard box where Román Haug was situated alongside the Chelsea defence.

As the ball curled towards the net Román Haug headed it home, ensuring that she put her team back in the game.

Just 14 minutes later, Matt Beard’s side was after a goal from Liverpool’s, Gemma Bonner, once again from a set piece. 

Höbinger once again played an inviting corner into Bonner who managed to get her head on the ball.

Despite it heading straight for the net, it was Chelsea skipper Erin Cuthbert who made the last contact with the ball and for the first time in the game, the Reds were ahead 2-1.

Chelsea was soon to make a comeback however, levelling the scoreline with only ten minutes of the match remaining.

Looking almost certain that the match would end level with both teams collecting a point, Beever-Jones received a cross from Niamh Charles with an open net and despite Liverpool’s efforts to keep their lead they were unsuccessful.

Embed from Getty Images
However Leanne Kiernan wasn’t going to let Chelsea keep the scoreline level for much longer, as just a minute later, Liverpool were ahead once again thanks to the Republic of Ireland international. 

Another mistake in Chelsea’s defence lead to Kiernan being unmarked resulting in ultimately conceding another goal. 

Cerri Holland weaved through Chelsea’s midfield and played a long ball towards Kiernan who ran straight on target and slotted the ball to the right of Hannah Hampton.

With the late drama still not being over, a mistake from Australian international, Micah resulted in her not only conceding a goal but it going down as an own goal. 

After a skillful passage of play along Chelsea’s right wing, a shot from Macario ended up muddled between a sea of red shirts in front of goal.

The ball ultimately ricocheted off of Micah putting both teams level once again with only seven minutes remaining.

However the Reds’ keeper was fortunatley saved by the grace of her teammate as the spectacle continued into stoppage time.

Embed from Getty Images

In the 92nd minute, Bonner received the ball from Höbinger once again from a set piece – not only did this secure Liverpool the lead, but it also saw Höbinger become the first player in WSL history to assist three goals from a corner in one match.

It was certainly a memorable night for the pair, as winning goalscorer Bonner also secured the Reds the win during her 150th appearance for the club. 

Despite Chelsea’s best efforts they were unable to slot another past Micah in the remaining added time, resulting in a devastating loss for the visitors. 

After suffering a late defeat on Wednesday night, the Blues now sit six points behind current league leaders Manchester City  with a game in hand. 

All eyes are now on Emma Hayes as she chases her last chance at silverware during her final season with Chelsea.

Featured image courtesy of Carys Wallace.