Manchester United have taken a historic victory to reach their second consecutive FA Cup final, winning 2-1 over current holders Chelsea.

It’s the only win Manchester United have ever taken over the Blues, but it’s also the only game that will matter to Marc Skinner’s side.

The Red Devils lost out to Emma Hayes’ side last season during the FA Cup final. This year however, they worked tirelessly to ensure they headed back to Wembley for another shot at glory with two early goals.

First half

Lucía García opened the scoring for United within 50 seconds of kick-off.

It came from Leah Galton capitalising on a mistake from Ève Périsset and sending in a perfect cross for García to head past Chelsea’s Hannah Hampton.

Veteran striker Rachel Williams added a second just before the 25-minute mark, once again from a header.

After Ella Toone effortlessly dodged Chelsea’s defence to send in her cross towards Williams, the centre-forward silenced any concerns people may have had about her starting over other United forwards.

Embed from Getty Images

There were questions over whether Maya Le Tissier should have been booked for a strong challenge on Mayra Ramirez, and then again for a shove on Ramirez a few moments later, but ultimately nothing became of either.

Lauren James earned one back for the visitors in almost the last act of the first half when a well worked piece of play was started by keeper Hannah Hampton.

The ball was carried down the left-wing Guro Reiten, and then Niamh Charles, who cut back to James to fire past Mary Earps.

Second half

Earps became the hero for Manchester United in the second half however, when she hooked a header from James out of her goal before it could cross the line and Chelsea could earn an equaliser.

Chelsea grew into the game as the second half went on, having a huge appeal for a penalty just before 60 minutes. United’s Katie Zelem appeared to deflect the ball with her arm, but nothing was given by referee Kirsty Dowle.

They had yet another penalty claim ten minutes later when Williams collided with Charles as Chelsea continued to push for an equaliser, however their protests were once again waved away.

It became a desperate defending match for Manchester United, who’s reckless challenges led them to pick up three yellow cards towards the end of the match, as well as Earps earning one for time-wasting.

Embed from Getty Images

United had chances to extend their lead in stoppage time as Chelsea’s forward-push left them exposed at the back.Substitute Nikita Parris drove the ball into the penalty area, but Hampton was able to claim it and keep her teams hopes alive.

Melvine Malard also almost extended United’s lead in the 97th minute when she won the ball back from Ashley Lawrence and caught Hampton off her line, but her long range shot headed wide.

In the end, the Reds saw out the win at Leigh Sports Village, ending Emma Hayes’ treble hopes in her departing season.

They also secured their spot in next month’s final against Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley. Both teams have never lifted the trophy before, so whatever happens history is set to be made.

Featured image courtesy of Carys Wallace.