Manchester City beat rivals United 3-1 yesterday at the Etihad, which saw 40,086 people in attendance.

First Half

United were off to a strong start, getting in some early chances, but they appeared to be no match for City keeper, Khiara Keating, who made crucial saves throughout the match as a whole.

United’s defence was slowly broken down by City and the 21st minute saw a frustrated Hannah Blundell receive a yellow card for a poor foul on Mary Fowler. 

However it still took another 15 minutes for them to concede, with a goal from Jess Park, assisted by Leila Ouahabi, the home team finally found a breakthrough. 

Embed from Getty Images

Less than two minutes later United’s defence was once again tested, as a Shaw deflection saw City score again.

However, this celebration was cut short as the goal was ruled offside. 

Keating’s skills were put to the test after a shot from Nikita Parris looked as though it was heading to the top corner of the net.

It wasn’t long until the ball was back in the United penalty box though, with Jess Park diverting a header from Alanna Kennedy past Mary Earps, doubling City’s lead right on the brink of half time. 

Second Half

Khadija Shaw wasted no time in the second half making it three for the blues in under a minute, with an assist from Jess Park. 

This goal made Shaw a record breaker for City, becoming the all-time top goalscorer for their women’s team.

Jayde Riviere went down in the 52nd minute due to an injury, which then resulted in her being subbed off for Aoife Mannion a few minutes later, along with Parris being subbed off for Rachel Williams. 

In the 73rd minute, Blundell sent a ball in which deflected off of Kerstin Casparij in an own goal, making the score 3-1 and bringing back the game’s momentum. 

Embed from Getty Images

City then made their first sub in the 83rd minute which saw Laura Coombs leave the pitch for Filippa Angeldahl.

United then followed suit, making their last substitution of the game in the 85th minute, which brought on Melvine Malard for Ella Toone.

A couple of minutes later, City also completed their final substitution for the match as Esme Morgan replaced Ouahabi.

The pressure was once again applied to both sides during the eight minutes of added time, with both teams breaking away, desperate to score.

Geyse was then shown a yellow card after a foul on Lauren Hemp on the left-wing, in the last booking of the game.

At full time, City were the ones to come away with the three points, but with Chelsea’s 2-0 victory over West Ham, City remain second in the league on goal difference.

Featured image courtesy of Paige Calow.